PITCAIRN ISLAND POSTCARDS
The rare images below show the rugged majesty of Pitcairn Island, the former home of the Bounty mutineers. The colony was founded when Fletcher Christian seized H.M.S. Bounty from Captain William Bligh. To hide from punishment, the mutineers, in 1790, burned their ship in Bounty Bay. Their fate was unknown until 1808 when an American vessel arrived at Pitcairn Island. By then, every man, except John Adams, had perished by violence or disease, leaving a settlement of women and children.
Location map of Pitcairn Island.
Aerial view of Pitcairn Island.
Bible from H.M.S. Bounty.
Carved model of H.M.S. Bounty.
Rugged coastline of Bounty Bay.
Winching a longboat into the boat house on Bounty Bay.
Children play on the cliffs overlooking Bounty Bay.
The anchor from H.M.S. Bounty.
Pitcairn Islanders, 1936.
Pitcairn Islanders in the longboat picking up packages and freight from a passing ship.